Spread the love
The Singles Scene

by Sarah Smart

Q.  A year ago, my boyfriend proposed to me, but he didn’t have the money to buy me a ring, so he asked me to buy my own ring, and he would reimburse me later.  Out of excitement and against my better judgment, I went out and bought a ring that I couldn’t really afford. Since that time, he called off the engagement and is refusing to reimburse me for the purchase of the ring.  I want to take him to court and try to get my money back, but everyone says I don’t have a case, and that I would look ridiculous.  What do you say?

A.  You can certainly try your luck in small claims court, but you should consult an attorney.  You have nothing to lose, and you might have a case.  Meanwhile, I suggest you either wear the ring or sell it but don’t ignore or forget the lesson.

Q.  I have a serious problem. I met a woman online who lived in another state, and we began a long-distance relationship with talks of marriage.  After seeing each other for about eight months, I decided to allow her to come and live with me.  She quit her job and moved here and it’s been hell ever since.  She can’t find a job and now that we’re living together, I can’t stand her.  She’s a slob, and I’m seriously bored with her company.  But I can’t get her to leave after telling her I’m no longer interested in getting married.  What can I do?

A.  Try to get a family member or friend to talk to her about getting on with her life.  Rejection can sometimes be hard to take, and you are in a precarious position.  However, if intervention doesn’t work, and she still refuses to leave,  you should seek help from your local police department.

Got a problem or a confession?  We’ve got the answer.  Send us your scenarios regarding The Single Life to beingsinglemagazine@gmail.com and put SingleScenes in the subject line.

Leave a Reply