Try These 6 Things…
by M.K. Allison
March 31, 2018
- Visit Your Local Bookstore – Go novel hunting and escape for the weekend in the pages of an exciting book. Browsing a bookstore such as Barnes & Noble, is an adventure if you like to read. They have reading corners and wonderful cafes, which are great meeting places. I’ve met some truly interesting souls while browsing in a bookstore.
- Sightseeing – Believe it or not, if you live in a big city, there are hundreds of places that you’ve never seen that would be very interesting. Take a day and go on a sightseeing tour of your city by either bus, car or limousine. Treat yourself according to your pocketbook. Look in your yellow pages for a tour that could interest you. There are historical tours, and private car tours that take your breath away. I recently went on a Black History tour of the Underground Railroad in my city (Chicago) and it was fascinating.
- Unique Shopping – I’m not talking regular department stores. I’m talking treasure hunting (shopping off the beaten path.) Flea Markets, Thrift Shops, Estate Sales, and real discount outlets. If you’ve never been to a thrift shop, you haven’t lived. Take a friend along and discover treasures beyond your imagination. I get many of my “designer” apparel from consignment shops. My friend got a $3000 St. John dress for $50.00 at a designer resale shoppe.
- Sports – Make this the year that you get out and enjoy the summer either by purchasing a bike, skates or a tennis racket…or you can always take up golf. Do something that will be energizing and fun. You can also begin walking at least three hours on Saturday and Sunday, to make up for the week, if you didn’t get a chance to walk. Try a nearby park. Sports activity is also a great way to get out and meet people.
- Model Home Tours – Want to really discover something unique and different. Go visit some model homes and get a new perspective. You can discover some new decorating ideas and techniques from the design experts, or you might be inspired to change residences. Either way, you’ll have a great time seeing how the rich and prosperous live.
- Taste Tours – Take a taste tour of all the exotic food shoppes in your city. In Chicago, we have places like Fox & Obell, and Whole Foods, where you’ll discover foods that you’ve never heard of, and experience the exquisite taste of things like pumpkin lemon pie, white fish salad, etc. You will have your own private taste fest, and maybe add a new dimension to your personal “food court.”