Spread the love
From Devotion To Danger
The Abusive Aspects Of “Love”
A Movie With A Message…
Due to the unfortunate incident that happened in Wisconsin recently, (a man with an order of protection against him killed his wife and two of her co-workers in the place where she worked) the seriousness of domestic violence is once again on every one’s mind. These statistics on domestic violence help illuminate the problem:
- Every 9 seconds in the US, a woman is assaulted or beaten.
- Around the world, at least one in every three women has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused during her lifetime. Most often, the abuser is a member of her own family.
- Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women—more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.
- Studies suggest that up to 10 million children witness some form of domestic violence annually.
- Nearly 1 in 5 teenage girls who have been in a relationship said a boyfriend threatened violence or self-harm, if presented with a breakup.
- Every day in the US, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends.
- Ninety-two percent of women surveyed listed reducing domestic violence and sexual assault as their top concern.
- Based on reports from 10 countries, between 55 percent and 95 percent of women who had been physically abused by their partners had never contacted non-governmental organizations, shelters, or the police for help.
- Men, who as children witnessed their parents’ domestic violence were twice as likely to abuse the women in their lives than sons of nonviolent parents.