by M.K. Allison
April 8, 2018
A few years ago a co-worker who pointed out that I was a ridiculous workaholic trapped in a rut, who didn’t know how to have fun. After our talk, I realized I was one of those women who felt like real fun couldn’t be had unless I was in the company of a man. I was 30 years old, and had never been on a vacation. For me, my pattern for fun if I wasn’t dating anyone, was TV and shopping. If I worked hard all week, I looked forward to a movie on Friday night, shopping all day on Saturday, and shopping some more on Sunday after church. When my friend talked about how she and her female friends go out once a month to discover a different ethnic restaurant, I grimaced at my own attitude about dining out with girlfriends. The only times I would go out to dinner would be on a date with a guy. I couldn’t imagine anything more boring than going out to dinner with a group of women.
I hadn’t traveled much, but after listening to her describe how exciting her life has been thus far, I decided to change my focus from all work and no play, to discovering more exciting things to do regardless of my romantic status.
I decided to go in search of real fun and action. I caught the travel bug and began a wonderful adventure with a group of female friends..Here are a few of my most unforgettable experiences that I recommend highly.
- Riding a motor scooter through the winding blue mountains of Jamaica escorted by the most handsome tour guide.
- White water rafting in the beautiful state of Vermont.
- Skiing the snowy slopes of Aspen, Colorado.
- Tobogganing in Indiana.
- Climbing the Dunn’s River Falls in Ocho Rios, Jamaica.
- Paddle-boating topless on a Mediterranean beach in Costa Del Sol in Spain.
- Partying in the streets of Costa Del Sol, Spain to music pouring from outside speakers.
- Riding horseback through a river in Oklahoma.
- Water-skiing in Hawaii.
- Bicycling through a historic park in Paris.
- Swimming under a waterfall in Cancun, Mexico.
- Riding a speedboat through the beautiful waters of the Grand Bahamas.
- Dining on the wharf in Sausalito, California.
- Swimming nude in the hotel pool after midnight in Morocco.
What about you? How much fun are you having? You can measure it by keeping a monthly fun journal.