by Constance Borglow
September 30, 2018
With today’s economy and recession it’s important to note that thousands of people across the country are losing their jobs daily, and a stellar performance at work is now more important than ever! It’s a known fact that when layoffs come, if financially feasible, the best are separated from those who are not considered as such. Here are some tips that could sustain you in such times.
- Always ask for guidance and whatever else you think you need to do the job better. Be willing to take a cut in salary if it will help the company sustain itself.
- Always…Always be ready to learn something new. Being susceptible to change puts your name in the pot for promotion.
- Don’t view your job as a social outlet where you get paid to play. Remember you were hired to do a job to help the company function well as a business.
- Take risks. Weight the consequences against the venture.
- Don’t stay to yourself. You’ll be more successful in the workplace if others see you as a team player.
- Look for ways (and suggest them) to make the company better and management will separate you from the group.
- Seize every opportunity to be noticed and viewed as efficient and industrious. Show up early and work late if you’re need to without being asked.
- Don’t despair over management policies that can’t be changed. Learn to roll with the punches and duck when you have to. Remember, you’re not the umpire, you’re a player.
- Always thank your boss for everything. They like to be appreciated too.
- Always be “for” whatever the boss is for, in front of others. If you disagree, do it “with all respects”…and in the interest of the company behind a closed door.
- Strive and work hard to be “in” with the boss’s secretary. It’s an invaluable relationship to have.
- In meetings, speak up when you feel you have a good solid contribution to offer.
- Be friendly with everyone and cross with no one. Never step on anyone’s toes intentionally or without regard for the other person’s feelings.
- Channel your criticisms into positive constructive suggestions.
- Be known for your honesty and attention to duty.
- Don’t try to be everything to everybody. Work to be viewed as fair, efficient, dependable, and loyal.